Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Tallahassee, FL

How to Verify a Professional's License in Tallahassee?

The Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation regulates and issues over 30 types of professional licenses to professionals who provide services to residents of Tallahassee. In addition to obtaining state-issued licenses, building professionals who wish to operate in Tallahassee must also obtain city-issued licenses through the Tallahassee/Leon County Permits Permit Portal of the Tallahassee Growth Management Department. You can use the online licensee search platform provided by the Department of Business & Professional Regulation to verify that your intended professionals have obtained the requisite state licenses. Likewise, you can contact the city's permits office at (850) 891-7001 to confirm if the professionals possess a valid city-issued license.

Apart from verifying the licensing status of professionals in the city, you must also ensure you obtain all requisite permits. For instance, if your planned projects involve construction or home improvement like the alteration of existing structures, you require building permits. Tallahassee Growth Management Department, through its Permits Office, issues permits for projects within the city, and you can contact the city's permits office at (850) 891-7001 for further inquiries regarding the permits process. Alternatively, you can visit the physical location of the city's permit office at:

  • 435 N. Macomb Street,
  • Tallahassee, FL 32301

Florida Contractor License Search:

Do Tallahassee Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Homeowners associations and neighborhood associations in Tallahassee do not issue permits to the residents of the city or any other interested parties. However, these associations are made up of diverse groups who work together to achieve a common goal and improve the community's general life quality. Through these associations, community members get to express concerns and give feedback on projects that will impact the development of their community. In July 2021, the Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce pledged $6,000,000 to Bond Community to help identify the community's needs and improve the its economic status. Tallahassee also supports and recognizes the hard work of these associations. In its annual neighborhood awards program for 2020, Tallahassee recognized several neighborhood associations that contributed to the community. For instance, the Old Town Neighborhood Association won the city's best neighborhood program award-physical improvement for utilizing the city's vibrant neighborhood grant program to improve the neighborhood entrance on Terrace Street, near Leon High School. To find the homeowners associations and the neighborhood associations in your neighborhood, you can use the city's online map.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Tallahassee

Residents of Tallahassee who have complaints concerning deceptive or unfair business practices occurring within the city can file a report with the Consumer Protection Office of the Florida Attorney General's Office. To file a complaint, you can either complete an online complaint form or download a Consumer Complaint Form. The downloaded and completed complaint form, as well as copies of any other relevant documents, can be sent via mail to:

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • PL-01 The Capitol
  • Tallahassee, FL 32399-1050
  • Phone: (850) 414-3990

Note that the Attorney General's Office does not provide legal advice or representation to complainants. If you need legal advice or representation in civil matters, you can contact a private lawyer regarding these matters. The Tallahassee Bar Association maintains a lawyer referral service database that you can access online, and you can call (850) 320-6963 for further information on the referral service. If your civil claim against the subject of your complaint does not exceed $8000, you can file a small claims action at the Leon County's Civil/Small Claims Court. Ordinarily, you do not need legal representation for a small claims action. However, you can still consult with a lawyer to advise you on how to proceed with your action.