Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Orlando, FL

How to Verify a Professional's License in Orlando?

Professionals in Orlando are required to obtain a professional license from the Florida Department of Business Professional Regulations (DBPR) to be eligible to provide their services in the city. This agency issues over 15 types of licenses, and you should always verify the license status of any professional you want to hire via the DBPR's online license search portal before doing so. This is important as hiring a professional that is not licensed in Orlando is punishable by a fine of not less than $500 or more than $5,000.

In addition to hiring a licensed professional, residents of Orlando must ensure that the individual obtains the required permit for the job. For example, most home construction or home improvement work in Orlando requires a building permit. Residents of Orlando who are considering hiring a professional for this type of job must ensure that the individual obtains a building permit from the Orlando Permitting Services Division. You can make inquiries concerning the processes and conditions for obtaining these permits online or by calling (407) 246 - 4444.

Florida Contractor License Search:

Do Orlando Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, neighborhood associations and homeowners associations do not issue building permits in Orlando. These associations are typically formed by a group of residents or property owners living in the same neighborhood to organize activities and advocate for the best interest of the people in the neighborhood. Neighborhood associations can organize activities within the neighborhood through the enforcement of rules and regulations. For example, the Oaks at Moss Park Homeowners associations prohibit the construction of individual wells or septic tanks on any lot in the neighborhood. In addition to organizing activities in the neighborhood, neighborhood associations also advocate for their community on a wide variety of public matters including, unfavorable city projects. For example, the Lake Formosa Neighborhood Association expressed concern about the newly installed street lights project executed by the city government. The association reported that residents of the neighborhood have identified the newly installed street lights along Alden Road as the source of the recent light pollution in the neighborhood and it subsequently scheduled several meetings with the city officials to come up with a favorable solution. Residents of Orlando can find out what is currently happening in their community, as well as upcoming events and projects in their neighborhood by utilizing the city's my neighborhood search tool. Neighborhood associations in Orlando are required to register with the Office of Communications and Neighborhood Relations. Queries concerning the registration of your neighborhood's association can also be directed to (407) 246 - 2169.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Orlando?

Consumer complaints involving a business that is operating illegally or constituting a nuisance within Orlando can be filled with the City's Code Enforcement Division online or by calling (407) 246 - 2686. In addition to constituting a nuisance, some unscrupulous individuals may also engage in deceptive business practices to defraud unsuspecting citizens. Complaints concerning consumer fraud in Orlando can be filled with the Orange County Consumer Fraud Unit by completing and submitting a business complaint form online. The unit typically mediates between the consumer and the business by presenting the consumer's complaint to the business for review to determine the best way to resolve the matter. However, in some cases, it may transfer the matter to other agencies which may have direct regulatory responsibility over the business. Note that the Consumer Fraud Unit can not take legal action against a business. As such, residents who are considering taking legal action against a business should not hesitate to file the matter in an appropriate court. For example, matters that involve a total of $8, 000 or less excluding cost, attorney fees, and interest are generally filled as small claims. These types of cases can be filled in the County Civil Court.