Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Hollywood, FL

How to Verify a Professional's License in Hollywood?

In Hollywood, professionals and businesses require licenses corresponding to the services they offer in order to operate legally. These licenses are issued both at the state and the local levels. At the state level, the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) regulates and licenses professionals in over 30 industries, including engineers, geologists, and those that operate in the construction industry. Interested persons can verify state-level licenses using the DBPR's license search portal or by calling (850) 487-1395. At the local level, the Broward County Central Examining Board of General Construction Trades is responsible for licensing professionals like electricians and plumbers. Residents can verify these professionals' locally-issued licenses by name, license number, company, or firm name using the Broward County Search for Contractor License portal.

Finally, city-issued permits are generally required where an individual or business has a construction-related project within the city, e.g., demolition, home improvement, repairs, and alteration of a building or structure. Construction permits are usually issued by the Building Division of the city's Department of Development Services. You can reach the division to inquire about and obtain permits relevant to your project either via email, by calling (954) 921-3335, or by making mail-in enquires to

  • Hollywood
    P.O. Box 229045
    Hollywood, FL 33022-9045

You can access the city's online contractor directory, which contains details of all construction permits issued in Hollywood within 12 months, to confirm if your professional has obtained the necessary permits for your project.

Florida Contractor License Search:

Do Hollywood Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Hollywood City has six commission districts that have elected representatives on the City Commission, which is the city's legislative body. The City Commission has several functions, including adopting annual budgets, approving ordinances, laws, resolutions, and setting city policies. However, the Commission does not issue construction permits. Nonetheless, it approves a wide range of capital improvement projects within the city. For example, in May 2021, the City Commission approved several public projects, including constructing approximately 2.5 miles of new concrete sidewalks and swale regrading near the Avant-Garde Academy. The City Commission executed similar sidewalks and swale improvements around Colbert Elementary and McNichol Middle schools in December 2020.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Hollywood?

You can file complaints regarding unfair and deceptive trade practices perpetrated by a professional in Hollywood with the Broward County Consumer Protection Department. These complaints can be made by selecting the request for service option on the online portal provided by this department. Note that you may be required to attach copies of relevant documents like receipts, proof of payment, and correspondence with the professional.

Following the receipt of your complaint, the department will review it before attempting to mediate between you and the business or professional to reach an agreement. If the department is unable to resolve your issue, it will send you to a more appropriate authority that can help you. It is also worth noting that the measures taken by these authorities are typically aimed at punishing defaulting professionals and not at providing compensation for any damages that you may have suffered as a result of the business's or professional's actions. As such, it is advisable to also institute a civil claim against these parties to secure possible compensation. These cases will usually be heard by the Small Claims Department of the Broward County Court, which has jurisdiction over civil claims that do not exceed $8,000 in value.

Finally, complaints that include allegations of a crime can be directed to the Hollywood Police Department by calling (954) 764-4357.