Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Gainesville, FL

How to Verify a Professional's License in Gainesville?

The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) regulates over 30 professional boards which issue licenses to qualified professionals in Gainesville. These state boards, which have collectively issued more than 1.4 million licenses, include the Construction Industry Licensing Board, the Florida Real Estate Appraisal Board, the Board of Landscape Architecture, and the Building Code Administrators and Inspectors Board. Before engaging a professional for your project, you must confirm that they possess the applicable license from their professional governing board. By recruiting the services of only qualified professionals, you can protect yourself from scenarios such as damage to your property or loss of funds. You can verify a Gainesville professional's licensing claims using the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation's licensing portal.

If you are hiring a professional to handle your construction or home improvement project, finding out if you may be required to obtain permits for the work is the next step after confirming their credentials. Gainesville's Building Inspection Department issues permits for all construction-related projects that require them. These types of projects generally include electrical installations, plumbing installations, mechanical installations, and installation of utilities such as water and gas. Launching your project without an appropriate permit can lead to penalties, such as double the required permit amount and other administrative fines. You can contact the Building Inspection Department for information or questions on the permit process in Gainesville by calling (352) 334-5050.

Florida Contractor License Search:

Do Gainesville Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The neighborhood associations and groups in Gainesville do not issue permits for construction-related work. These associations help set standards, community rules, and cooperate with the city's Housing and Community Development Department. The Housing and Community Development Department further keeps the registered neighborhood associations up to date with modifications in the city's land-use rules and other relevant new developments.

In August 2021, it was announced that the City Commission would negotiate a contract to develop affordable condominium units as part of a mixed-use project on land owned by the city, opposite Loosey's Downtown. Similarly, in June 2021, Gainsville's City Commission passed a motion stating that members of neighborhood associations would be notified of future land developments. This was done to improve transparency between residents of the city and the city government.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Gainesville?

The Office of the Attorney General of Florida's Consumer Protection Division entertains complaints from parties filed against individuals and businesses concerning their unlawful and unfair business practices. You can file your complaint online or by downloading a consumer complaint form and sending the completed form, along with copies of documents relevant to the complaint, by mail to:

  • Consumer Protection Division
  • Office of the Attorney General
  • 110 South East 6th Street
  • 9th floor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301-5000

You can also file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division's Fort Lauderdale Office via phone number (954) 712-4600.

Although the Consumer Protection Division accepts complaints and tries to mediate between you and the other party, it does not offer legal advice nor representation in the matter. If an amicable resolution cannot be reached between you and the party in question, you can file a small claims suit at the Alachua County Courthouse, which is located at:

  • 201 East University Avenue
  • Gainesville, FL 32601
  • Phone: (352) 374-3636
  • Hours: 8:15 a.m. to 5:00p.m., Monday through Friday

Small claims suits offer aggrieved parties an opportunity to present their cases before a judge quickly, and with simplified legal procedures. However, small claims suits do not allow compensation that exceeds $8,000. The Florida Bar provides a consumer pamphlet that contains an introduction to the process of filing a small claims suit as well as answers to frequently asked questions to help interested parties file small claims cases in Gainesville.