Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Fort Lauderdale, FL

How to Verify a Professional's License in Fort Lauderdale?

When hiring professionals in Lauderdale, you must ensure that these professionals have obtained all necessary licenses. The Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation is the licensing authority charged with issuing over 30 types of professional licenses to Fort Lauderdale professionals, and you can verify the licenses issued by this agency via its online licensee search platform. Certain professionals, like contractors and other building and home improvement-related professionals, are also required to obtain locally-issued licenses from the city. The Fort Lauderdale Department of Sustainable Development issues licenses to building professionals, and you can verify if your intended professionals have obtained this city-issued license by contacting the department at (954) 828-6520. You can also visit the physical location of the city's Department on Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at:

  • 700 NW 19th Avenue,
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311

After confirming the licensing status of your professionals, you also have to make sure that you obtain all necessary permits for your projects before commencing work. The type of project you intend to undertake will determine the permits that you may need. Typically permits are required for, but not limited to, building-related projects. The city's Department of Sustainable Development, through its Building Services Office, issues permits, and you can contact this office at (954) 828-6520 to find out about the permits procedures.

Florida Contractor License Search:

Do Fort Lauderdale Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Fort Lauderdale is made up of several organized groups like neighborhood associations, civic associations, homeowners associations, and community associations. These organized groups do not have the right to issue permits to residents. However, they generally work together to ensure the community's safety and encourage developmental projects that will improve the quality of life for residents. For example, the Victoria Park Civic Associations informs its community members about ongoing projects in the city through its quarterly newsletter. In the association's 2nd quarter 2021 newsletter, it provided the community members with information about the planned construction of a 14 story building with 52 residential units at 333 NE 7 Avenue. Similarly, the Middle River Terrace Neighborhood Associations announced two planned projects, namely the 13th Street Improvement project and the Dixie Highway improvement project, which are expected to include bike lanes, sidewalks, crosswalks, traffic calming devices, and landscaping. Organized groups are the creation of the community members, and you can find out what organized groups represent the interest of your neighborhood via the city's organized neighborhood associations directory or the city's online map.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Fort Lauderdale?

The Consumer Protection Office of the Florida Attorney General's Office investigates unfair business complaints filed by the residents of Fort Lauderdale. You can file a complaint with this office by completing an online complaint form or you can download the Consumer Complaint Form. Upon completing the downloaded complaint form, you can send it and other copies of relevant documents to the address indicated on the top of the form. For queries regarding the complaint process, you can contact the Consumer Protection Office at (850) 414-3990.

The Attorney General's Office can only investigate your complaint and prosecute the subject of your complaint where an actionable case is made out against them. This office cannot represent you if you are seeking a personal remedy from the subject of your complaint. However, you can complete the online lawyer referral service form provided by the Broward County Bar Association to get legal advice from qualified lawyers near you. You can also contact the bar association at (954) 764-8310 or email concerning its lawyer referral services. Note that the payment of a fee may be required for this service. If you decide to pursue legal action, then you can file a claim at the Broward County's Civil/Small Claims Court. This court has jurisdiction over general civil claims of up to $30,000 and small claims actions of not more than $8000. You can refer to the self-help center of the Broward County Civil for more information about filing a civil claim in Fort Lauderdale.