Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Coral Springs, FL

How to Verify a Professional's License in Coral Springs?

The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) is the governing board for over 30 categories of professionals and it issues licenses to over 1.4 million professionals, including those in Coral Springs. Before hiring these professionals for your project, it is vital to ensure that they are qualified and have been issued a license from the appropriate professional board. When you verify a professional's license before hiring them, you protect yourself from potential liabilities, as well as from shoddy work. You can verify the license of professionals based in Coral Springs using the licensing portal provided by the Florida DBPR.

After successfully signing-on a professional for your project, you may need to apply for permits. Note that this is generally dependent on the type and scale of your project. The Coral Springs Building Department issues building permits for projects such as new building construction, building enlargement, building alterations, and demolition to ensure conformance with the city's building codes. Failure to obtain a permit for your project can lead to a penalty. The department also provides interested parties a residential permit checklist and a commercial permit checklist to simplify the permit process. For additional questions or information you may have, you can call the Building Department via phone number (954) 344-1025.

Florida Contractor License Search:

Do Coral Springs Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Coral Springs is split up into several neighborhoods, and these neighborhoods consist of community-oriented councils, associations, and organizations. While these organizations do not issue construction-related permits, they cooperate with city agencies to enhance the lives of the residents. An example of this cooperation is Coral Springs' Community Development Department's Neighborhood Programs, which are designed to engage residents and enhance their community.

In September 2021, It was reported that Coral Springs issued a permit for initial demolition and interior structural work worth $400,000 towards the redevelopment of the former Ice and Sportsplex for the city's professional ice hockey team. Also, in July 2021, it was reported that residents of a Coral Springs condominium were given two weeks to vacate after their building was deemed to be unsafe by the city. City staff were reported to be working with the Coral Springs Community Chest, a non-profit organization, to help with temporary housing for those affected.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Coral Springs?

The Office of the Attorney General of Florida's Consumer Protection Division handles complaints made in Coral Springs against businesses for unfair and unlawful business practices. You can file your complaints with this agency by calling the Consumer Protection Division's branch office at Fort Lauderdale via phone number (954) 712-4600. Alternatively, you file your complaint online or by downloading a consumer complaint form, completing it, including relevant documents for your case, and mailing it to:

  • Consumer Protection Division
  • Office of the Attorney General
  • 110 South East 6th Street
  • 9th floor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301-5000

The Consumer Protection Division will receive your complaint and act as an intermediary to try and resolve the matter between you and the individual or business in question. However, the Consumer Protection Division does not prosecute nor give legal advice on the dispute. If a resolution cannot be reached between you and the individual or business in question, you can choose to file a small claims lawsuit at the Broward County Courthouse, which is located at:

  • Broward County Judicial Complex
  • 201 South East 6th Street
  • Fort Lauderdale FL 33301
  • Phone: (954) 712-4600
  • Hours: 8 a.m to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday

Small claims cases are civil cases that offer a cheaper, faster, and less formal court setting to adjudicate disputes. They are however, limited, and you can only seek damages not exceeding $8,000 for compensation. You should endeavor to seek the advice of an experienced lawyer before making a move to use the small claims court or any other court of law.